- Category: Weather
- Released date: 01/28/2011
- Current Version: 1.2.1
- Seller: Shuksan Software, LLC
- Recommended Age: 4+
- Download Size: 1538661
- Last Update: 07/22/2011
- Requirements: All
* Now with severe weather warnings! *
Want to find out if a thunderstorm is headed your way? Or if it's going to rain soon? Or do you just want to unleash your inner meteorologist?
Then give NOAA Radar US, the fastest loading animated radar app in the app store, a try! For the price of a cup of coffee, you get a great app that can quickly visualize animated 1 km resolution NEXRAD Level 3 weather radar data* from NOAA for the continental United States and shows you the progress of incoming storms. Unlike some competing radar apps, Radar US displays combined data (mosaics) of all 150+ operating NEXRAD radar stations in the United States AND updates every 5 minutes**. You can view radar data as an animated movie or, with the full animation controls available in Radar US, single step forwards or backwards to get a better idea of the weather headed your way. Use GPS to set your location, or search for a location by city, state, or zip code. Choose from one of four different background maps from Google. Zoom in and out and pan and scroll. And, Radar US always remembers the last location you viewed so you can quickly check for updates to your local weather.
- Severe weather (flash flood, tornado, and severe thunderstorm) warnings from the National Weather Service
- Cloud cover and satellite imagery for the continental United States
- Play, pause, and step animations
- Fast zoom in and zoom out
- Multiple map styles (terrain, map, satellite, and hybrid)
- Displays time of radar image either as absolute time or relative to the current time
- Full screen, portrait, and landscape views
- GPS locator that finds and displays your current location
- Adjust the transparency (opacity) of the radar or cloud cover overlays
- Automatic refresh when new radar or cloud cover data is available
- Set your location by zip code, city name, or address
- Legend for radar and cloud cover overlays
- Saves and restores your last location and zoom level
Please follow our Twitter stream at twitter.com/shuksansoft for breaking news and status updates.
* NOAA Radar US displays radar data at the highest resolution (1km or about 0.6 miles) currently offered by the National Weather Service. This resolution is determined by the nature of weather radar data, not by the app.
** Some users have been confused by what "updates every five minutes" means. It means that the latest image displayed in the animation is updated every five minutes. The data used to generate the image can be greater than five minutes old, but usually is from 3 - 10 minutes old. And, unlike some competing apps, we display the real time in the app!